Sunday, March 27, 2011

Some Kind of Zombie

There's a song by Audio Adrenaline(they had some awesome stuff) called "Some Kind of Zombie". For some reason that song has been stuck in my head, even though it was my bro Jon's CD, and I haven't even heard it in a couple of years. But it has a fantastic and unique perspective on what the Christian life is.

First off, it doesn't shy away from the obvious. From the outside, we look like freaks. We change our speech, our desires, our bearings. We still retain our personality, but we're definitely changed. Like a zombie, raised from the dead. Looks the same, but has a different desire. They desire flesh, and we desire to remember that Christ's flesh was pierced for us. We are zombies, for Christ. I'm not afraid to say that. We are dead to our old lives. We don't have to live in sin, despair, hopelessness, and ultimately, complete and absolute Death. We're dead to being dragged around by the desires, lusts, and lies like specks of dirt caught in a current. We've put on the shackles of Christ only because He took off the shackles we were born with. We found something so beautiful,so complete, so different from the failed promises of this world. Why would we go back to that emptiness?

What's better yet is that after this change, we look at this world. The one that hasn't been transformed yet. Do you know what I see? Zombies. People wandering through life, chasing these goals promising fulfillment. Popularity, money, drugs. Healthy living, a strong family life, good morals. They all lead to emptiness, because they give nothing back, even if they seem 'right'. Christ gives. He's different from this rat race.

I'm the same on the outside. I still react in serious situations with jokes. I still like weird clothes and shaggy hair. I still hate shaving, and I still would rather be looking in from the outside(as opposite as that is from what people think). But I don't live for myself anymore. I don't need to be laughed at. I don't need to be distinguished by how I look. I don't need to be walking with the rest to say I'm different. I've walked away from the grave. Just another zombie. I'm changed. Forever. Christ's work can do that. He restores. He fulfills.

'here they come
they're all up on me
but I'm dead to sin like
some kind of zombie.'

No comments:

Post a Comment